Friday, June 10, 2011

First Oil Change - Suzuki's Not-So-Nice Surprise

So if you are like me, you perform your own maintainence.  Well, I rode this bike so much that my break-in maintainence got here before my shop manual.  No worries, how exciting is an oil change, heck, the bike even has "OIL FILTER" embossed on the cover where the filter goes.  Well, when you look underneath, you will find what appears to be TWO oil drain plugs.  Interesting.  One is toward the rear of the engine and directly in the case, and the other is more towards the front in a plate attached to the case.  Well, I decided the one directly in the case (towards the rear) was my choice and pulled it...  (insert your favorite curse word here)!!!  Not only did the plug and oil come out, but so did a spring and a plunger too!!!  WRONG PLUG!!!  At first I thought maybe an oil pressure relief valve or something, but after a quick search of the internet I found one comment on a forum where someone did the same thing.  He said it was the shifter detent assembly and sure enough my shifter no longer had detents.  Now, how does it go back together, well if you play with the plunger you will notice that the skinny shank will go right in the spring.  This would be WRONG, if you reassemble (as I did the first time) it will go together but your shifter will still have no detents.  The proper assembly is plunger first (rounded stem up) then the spring then the plug.  After reassembly you should have your shift detents back.  Also, if you drained your oil from that plug still pull the proper front plug, more oil will come out.  My bike now has 770 miles on it and is about to embark on an 1000+ mile road trip this weekend.  I hope you are enjoying your bike.  :-)


8 comments:

  1. Exclusive information. Thanks for sharing.
    Auto Mechanics Largo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ach, I just made this mistake. Trouble is I can't find #19 the O-ring. I looked through the oil. Nada. Could it still be in the engine? If so, what if I can't retrieve it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have the o-ring either. Did you end up getting one? Mine seems to work without it and I assume someone else had made the same mistake and not put it in.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog post is old, but just solved a problem I had with my TU250x after taking it in for its initial service and new sprocket.

    Took it back to the dealer and they had put the plunger in backwards.

    Thanks for your help!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This saved me a lot of trouble when I did the same thing.
    Thanks!!!
    Leonard in south carolins

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank God for Internet... December 2018 I did the same thing in South Australia! Thank you for the original post! Cheers and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it and it helped you out! Happy New Year!

      Delete