Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Bikemaster Clubman Handlebars

     These have always been favorite set of handlebars, and I just happen to have a set in my garage.  I pulled them out, dusted them off and installed them.  They definately give the bike a more agressive feel, gives it that 60's cafe racer look, and for big guys like me (I'm 6' 4") it makes the bike feel a little larger.  It also put a noticable transfer of weight to the front tire which helps keep the front tire from getting light while running aggressive throttle. 
     I did make another run up my favorite mountain today to check out the feel and it definately inspired confidence.  I rode harder and faster than I ever have.  It may have inspired too much confidence as one corner in particular always seem to catch me out and since I was running harder than normal, I did have an off pavement excursion.  After hitting a hell of a bump coming back onto the tarmac and enduring a quick knee slapper I did get her back under control.  Definately more excitement than I bargained for and after letting my heart settle and feeling out the bike for the next mile or so I ramped the speed back up and was able to really wheel the bike down the rest of the mountain.
     So if you like a more aggressive feel to your bike and like the cafe racer look, pick yourself up a set.


8 comments:

  1. I'm thinking about picking up a TU250x in the next month or so and was doing research when I stumbled across your blog. Great stuff! Thank you for all the info. I was also thinking about putting some cafe racer bars on it and like the way yours look. I searched around and I was only able to find chrome bike master clubman bars, and it looks like yours are black. Where did you get them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought them about 10 years ago for another motorcycle and believe I bought them from Dennis Kirk. Looks like they don't have the black versions that I have anymore, but I did find a similar bar in black @ http://www.amazon.com/Black-Cafe-Racer-Clubman-bars/dp/B004PQOT8Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1309876696&sr=1-1 . Hope that helps you out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am considering a TU250x and found your blog upon research. Thanks for the helpful reviews of the bike. I want to ask about your experience on those tires. Have you had any trouble or flats with the tube tires? I'm out in Texas and plan to do most riding on the back roads so I'm apprehensive about being stranded with a flat I can't plug. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for the late response. Nope, I haven't had any tire troubles whatsoever. I have over 5,000 miles on the original tires now, and the rear is ready for replacement, but no punctures to speak of. That being said, the rear tire did have two cuts in the tread over it's life that I noticed, neither went down to the cords, and I have never had a flat. For cheap tires they are relatively sticky and I ride the bike hard and fast in the mountains and have had it leaned over regularly to the edge of the tread and the bike has always felt planted. That being said I will be replacing them with Bridgestone BT45 Battleaxe tires soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was unlucky to get a flat this September, within my first thousand miles. I passed through strip mall parking lot in front of the construction, and caught 3cm screw smack in the midlle, went all the way in. Cost me $25 to fix ($10 tube, $15 labour).

    That said, I just went on 200 mile ride up in the mountains with some 116 miles on forest service access dirt roads, and I rode over all kind of sharp gravel, and tires held up fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog, though you haven't posted in a while!

    Quick question - what mirrors do you have on there? I like the look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are actually the stock Suzuki mirrors with the mirror heads flipped inboard rather than outboard. :-) And yeah, I haven't posted for quite a while. Got engaged so have been making wedding plans along with looking for a new house over the last few months have taken up most of my time. I will also admit I have been cheating on my poor TU. She still gets ridden and my fiancee is learning how to ride on her, but my financial situation has changed and I bought and started creating a Cafe Racer Harley Davidson Sportster. I have stubbed a blog for that bike as well at EvilSportster.blogspot.com, but alas, neither blog has been touched since November. As my life settles down I plan on getting to both blogs including a comparison blog of Economy Bike vs. Dream Bike. Think people will be surprised at how a $4000 Economy Bike will compare with a $17000 Dream Bike. :-) Thank you for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eric,

    Also shopping for a TU250, even got to ride one at my safety course. At 6' 190# and a 32" inseam, I felt a little cramped, my knees were pretty high. But - that is the extent of my motorcycle riding so far!

    You are taller than I am, how has the bike been from a fit standpoint?

    Thank you for all the great info!

    Jac

    ReplyDelete