Friday, September 9, 2011

Gear Review - Bell Custom 500

     The Bell Custom 500 is a helmet designed to look and feel like the original Bell 500 helmet in an up to date safety package.  And it does just that.  It is a classic helmet shape and design that harkens back to 1954 when the original Bell 500 came out, and @ $99 for the cheapest colors it is a steal.  It comes in many sparkly colors as well as black, flat black, and custom painted models.  It also has a beautiful quilted lining.  The lining does not come out so you will have to wash it in the helmet.  I preferred the flat black and ordered one.  I was excited the second I pulled it out of the box.  The fit and finish were beautiful.  I tried it on and immediately there was a problem. 

     More with me than the helmet, but if you are like me you will notice it too.  My head appears to be longer front and rear in proportion to it's width.  A common problem for me with all hats, ballcaps, cowboy hats, etc.  This put a headache inducing pressure point right dead center on my forehead.  My first 20 mile ride I was feeling it at the end and was worried I would need to return it.  Luckily after a couple of days it started breaking in and I could feel the helmet releasing it's grip.  I have worn it daily and after the few short weeks I have had it, it seems to be breaking in nicely.

     Other than the initial break in I love how this helmet looks and feels.  It is light, doesn't fly when riding at high speeds, and doesn't get in you vision at all.  The only thing to watch out for are the 3 snaps (this is a model based on the original 500 so 3 snaps are all you get).  I noticed after installing my face shield and removing it that the snaps were loose.  So it is worth while just to tighten those up immediately out of the box. 

     This helmet really has that classic look, low price, and up to date safety standards to boot.  I believe it is a hands down winner!


2 comments:

  1. Eric-

    I'm helmet shopping as well and love the classic look of this. Did it come with the windscreen or is that an aftermarket add-on you sourced?

    Thanks!
    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. The windscreen is also made by Bell, I think it was $20 from Motorcycle SuperStore http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/69/33176/ITEM/Bell-Retro-3-Snap-Shield.aspx

    ReplyDelete