Friday, August 19, 2011

Long Distance Touring, Is The TU The Right Tool For The Job?

ABSOLUTLY...  NOT!  Did you expect a different answer?  Much like using a phillips head screwdriver as a punch, it'll do the job, but it isn't designed for it.  I just finished an 1800 mile week on my TU, with two 14 hour 700 mile drives in that trip.  Did the TU complete the trip, yes she did, but this is where the power becomes an issue.  I had the bike loaded for camping out for a week which meant a tank bag, saddle bags, a military back pack, a tent, and a few other things strapped to the bike.  In order to keep pace at the 70 MPH I wanted I ended up spending nearly 80% of the 700 miles in a tuck.  Not the most comfortable way to travel.  Fortunately the power is the only real issue.  The foot pegs are in a reasonable position, and the driver saddle is actually really nice.  So, if it is all you have, the little TU can get the job done, but this is when an open classer is well worth having.  Whatever you have, enjoy the ride.


2 comments:

  1. OK, I understand the 70 mph issue. But how fast could you go straight and level in a normal riding position? Did altitude have much effect on power?

    Back in 1963, I rode a Zundapp 250 (2-cycle, single cylinder) 6800 miles on a camping adventure from Ohio to Oregon by way of Yellowstone and Glacier national parks. From there, it was along the Pacific coast to SF, then across the mountains at Yosemite, down to LA, and back to Ohio. My younger brother rode the same model .... except his would go faster than mine. But the only way we could ever hit 70 is if we were going down-hill.

    My bike now is a 1200 fuel-injected Harley XL so no power problems! But I've thought about buying a "TU" for my van camping trips across America.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tom, well I have found that normal riding position on straight and level ground all depends. The biggest thing is in the city or out on the open road. Upright in the city on the freeway I can do and indicated 75 all day long, and I have hit 90 in our tunnel on I-10. This is all because the cars around you are moving the air with you. Out on the open road it is a struggle, but on flat level I have seen an indicated 68-72. Now, I keep saying "indicated". That is because recently I have realized that the speedo is a might optimistic. But, it is funny that you mention a fuelie 1200XL because, while I still own the TU I bought a 1200XL in November of 2011. Here's mine. http://ericevansfineart.smugmug.com/FineArt/Motorcycles/28109361_MfNfLm#!i=2395134471&k=PC5h4Lh

      My fiance is learning to ride on the TU, and I still ride it occasionally, and it is still a blast. After she moves up to a bigger bike I am not sure what I will do, thinking about removing the front fender and making a high pipe exhaust for it and turning her into a scrambler. :-) Thx for reading!

      Delete