Saturday, August 13, 2011

Bonneville Speed Week: Trip to...

Leg 1: Phoenix to Wickenburg...

Uneventful but slow going through Phoenix on Grand Ave.  Averaged 60 MPG and was able to cruise 75 the whole way once out of Phoenix.  Only got sprinkled on, so that is good.  Had to stop for fuel since Kingman is just outside of the fuel range.

Leg 2: Wickenburg to Kingman...

Lots of climbing meant the little TU had to work hard.  With the snorkel removed though this is the first time I have been able to maintain the speed limit (65) on mountain highways.  That is a nice plus.  :-)  Still only caught sprinkles.  There is a nice Mobil gas station just north of I 40 on US93, they have tables to relax at for a nice drink.  :-)  205 miles down.

Leg 3: Kingman to Las Vegas...

2nd shortest leg of the trip, just 100 miles...  still staying mostly dry :-) and it is the first time I have used the Hoover Dam bypass bridge...  It makes there be no traffic, but it is purposely built so you cannot see the dam. :-(  Now in North Las Vegas having  McLunch.  320 miles down, now the two longest legs of the journey coming up.

Leg 4: Las Vegas to Caliente...

Long leg.  =-O  Starting to get fatigued.  I hear there is a lot of rain ahead of me.  462 miles down.

Leg 5:  Caliente to Ely...

Longer leg!!!  Have avoided rain so far, but had some very wet roads.  So slick I thought I might have a flat and actually stopped and checked.  595 miles down.

Leg 6:  Ely to Bonneville...

Don't know how I got through all those angry clouds with no rain but did.  :-)  After 14 and a half hours and 725 miles I have made it safely to Bonneville.



No comments:

Post a Comment