Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Asthma

You will find that due to EPA requirements that your bike be quieter than 80db @ 6500 RPM Suzuki has made the poor little TU sip it's air through a straw.  On the air box the air cleaner assembly has 3 silver screws holding it to the airbox, and 3 black screws holding the snorkel to the air cleaner assembly.  While the snorkel looks pretty generous for a 250, it sits in the upper rear corner of the sealed side cover and ends up being pretty restrictive.  Removing the 3 black screws takes the snorkel right off, and the computer does a fine job of compensating for the extra air flow (thank you fuel injection).  The picture below shows a drawing of the air cleaner assembly with the snorkel in red.  The first thing you will notice is a nice throaty growl (especially under load), and some gain in upper end HP.  What I noticed right off is that I would run the bike in 1st gear and shift when the power fell off, which was right around 27 MPH (approx. 9000 RPM) but the first time I ran her with the snorkel off I hit the rev limiter at 32 MPH (approx. 10,500 RPM).  I have also noticed that she can hold 70-80MPH easier than in the past, especially when 2-up.  Also I have been able to achive 95 MPH on moderate climbs while laying on the tank which was impossible before.  Another small note is that I noticed that where I used to pretty much accelerate at WOT all the time, I now use a more moderate throttle setting.  Now, just to be clear, I am not suggesting you break federal law and remove this device, this is strictly a "ahem" track day modification.  :-)  So open her up and get rid of that asthma, she'll thank you for it.


1 comment:

  1. thanks for posting this! a concern of mine is rain water getting in and locking the motor, have you road in the rain since you did this mod? yesterday I removed the snorkel and drilled 2 holes in the end of my exhaust and the bike really came to life but since I live in Hawaii, rain is a true concern and can come at almost any given moment. what are your impressions. thanks again!
    Charlie

    ReplyDelete